A disaster is when needs exceeds resources. Some examples of natural disasters in Nevada are:
- Earthquakes - We may not feel all the small earthquakes we get, but Nevada is 3rd highest in the US for earthquake activity. On FEMA.gov Nevada is listed as a "Very High Risk" for earthquakes
- Tornado - Nevada does get tornados, however they are very small, usually a 1 or a 2.
- Winter Storms - Rare in Las Vegas/Henderson, but when it does happen, it affects us greatly! Las Vegas does NOT have snow plows, sand, etc.
- Extreme Temperatures - For Nevada we have an average of 22 days a year above 110 degrees!
- 150 Days above 90 degrees
- 97 Days above 100 degrees
- 22 Days above 110 degrees
- 35 Days below freezing