Saturday, November 6, 2010

72 Hour Kit - Comfort Foods

Comfort Foods (aka Snack Foods or Extra Calories for your 72 Hour Kit)

Now these are not traditional comfort foods, but they would be in an emergency situation. In addition to my emergency food bars, I pack 3-6 small treat/snack in our 72 hour kits (1-2 for each day). Snack criteria for me is as follows...
  • lightweight
  • does not require cooking
  • tastes great
  • is something my kids would normally eat
  • has a shelf life of at least 6 months, I would prefer a year if possible
  • is individually packaged
  • doesn't take a lot of room
  • provides extra (somewhat healthy) calories
Snack ideas are...
  • Beef Jerky
  • Trail Mix
  • Granola
  • Fruit Snacks
  • Fruit Leather
  • Raisins
  • Granola Bars
  • Ready Mix Tuna Salad
  • Dried Fruit

No comments: